Saturday, October 4, 2008

We are here.

Well, we have had quite the day (literally meaning 24-hours). As we were trying to figure out the electrical converter for the computer (hoping we wouldn't destroy our only source of communication), we realized that it had been 24-hours since we got on the shuttle bus.

We are in our room and it is a little different than what we expected. We requested a king bed, which we were told we should be able to get, but we have 2 double beds instead. We'll have to see if our guide can do anything about that tomorrow... The flight was VERY long and our coach tickets left my [Patrick's] legs jammed into the back of the seat in front of us. Of course, due to the length of flight, they were fully reclined the whole time... We did get a little bit of sleep along the way, which should help us to get on the new time zone more quickly.

The biggest scare we had was at the airport after getting our bags. We searched multiple times for our sign from our guide to jump out at us as we approached the exit, but our fears began to come to life as we realized our guide was not there. We searched for over an hour, tried the only two phone numbers we had (which the pay phone said "could not be dialed from the pay phone") and tried speaking to the "help desk", which had no english speaking help... Finally, just short of a full-on panic attack, we saw our guide come running over to us apologizing for not being there. Apparently, someone had told her we were flying in from Houston!? Consequently, after she had been there for more than 2 hours, she got the corrected information and came to the correct building we were in.

We both feel quite out of our element, but are trying to get in the swing of things. We will follow up with more details as we unwind a little.


Photobucket

9 comments:

Chelley said...

prayers and love from me

Jewels of My Heart said...

GOOD EVENING BEIJING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, I am so excited! Patrick! I know you are exhausted but..... You are in CHINA! Your daughter will be in your arms in less than 24 hrs.... lets hear singing, cheering and dancing... heheeee
I am so glad your guide found you! That had to be very frightening.
Enjoy your evening in Beijing!
Love you guys and I am praying for you.
g

Truly Blessed said...

You're in CHINA!!!!!!!!!

Can you even believe it? I know you're exhausted and know that the flight was rough, but you're in the same city with Eliana -- can you even believe it?

Sorry your guide wasn't there to greet you -- that happened to us as well, and it is a little unnerving. But, all's well that ends well, and you're in the hotel -- each with a bed to sleep in!

Looking forward to reading your adventures each day...

3 Little Monkeys said...

I can't believe your actually there! Your so close to your baby girl now! I'm sure you can't wait to hold her close...its been such a long wait...and its finally time to bring Eliana home! We are praying for everything to go smoothly. Hope you have a wonderful day. Love, Rachel : )

Anonymous said...

You made it! Prayed and prayed for you guys yesterday. Take pics of everything! Marie

Paula said...

Oh, I'm so happy you made it safely. What a long day...I bet your just so glad to be there. What a scare not to have your guide there. I would be panicking too.

Tab said...

Sweetie one more sleep and you will have your daughter in your arms. Sweet dreams Love mom.

Faith, Hope, and Love said...

YEAH!!!! You are there...you are just miles from Eliana!!!! That flight IS a killer...oh I dread the flight again. But...our sweeties are worth it! Try to enjoy every moment. Its truly a different culture ...one that sometimes you just have to find humor in. One more day!!!!!

Anonymous said...

We are with you! You're probably leaving at 9am. 4.5 hours from now. We're watching, we're praying. Love, Mary & Shaun