Sunday, October 12, 2008

Can't Quite Put Into Words...

Well it's been a total whirlwind lately... We got checked out of our room in Beijing and made it to Guangzhou. Not to go into too much detail, because it could fill a book, but Eliana got upset that she couldn't have any more snacks on the way to the airport when we were about 3 minutes away. She had a large breakfast and a bottle and then we gave her to packs of snack crackers on the way and she wanted the rest of our stash.She continued wailing into the airport and it got worse and worse from there. There were problems with our baggage due to misinformation we received. For 2 HOURS we were stuck in a freakish nightmare that felt like it would never end. Eliana was terrified of everyone in the airport and kept pointing at people and screaming at the top of her lungs. It only gets more graphic from there. Today took us closer to the breaking point than we've ever been.Needless to say, we made it to the White Swan, which is leaps and bounds better than our last hotel. There is a lot of stuff for Eliana to do and see just here in the hotel if we don't feel like going anywhere. I wish we could have stayed here the whole time, but the wait for her Visa in Beijing prevented it.

We have the medical appointment tomorrow, so I'm sure Eliana will have SO much fun there! HA! (the doctor will likely prescribe earplugs and quickly usher us out of his office.Will try to write more in the morning (here), but it's 10:16pm here. Eliana just went to sleep about a half hour ago after being up since 7am (other than rendering herself unconscious for about 30min. in the airport).We really felt like the airport made us regress with her progress. Pray that we can get some sort of upgrades on flights that will take us out of the sardine can! She spent most of the 3hr flight (fighting sleep) standing on the floor in front of April's seat (getting into anything in her reach). The guy in front of her tried to recline his seat back all the way before we even started moving. Momma bear shoved his seat back forward (politely, of course...?) as he was trying to push it back. He got the hint and had in upright the whole flight. Good thing, because Eliana would have be confined to April's lap the entire flight. We were assigned the window and middle seat with a poor girl sitting on the isle seat next to us.

Well, here I go rambling on too much anyway... off to bed...


Photobucket

7 comments:

April said...

Hey April.... this comment was from Paula....

Yea, finally a new post. I've been wondering what was going on with you guys. Oh man, the airport scene and flight sound awful. I'll be praying that things go smoother for you from here on out.
YOu accidentally made your post on One Child At A Time. lol so I copied and pasted it onto your blog.
now I am going to read your post.

Life with JJ, Starr and Spice said...

I just found your blog and I was reading all about your journey to Eliana.

We have adopted twice from China and our second adoption was of a toddler who was not at all happy to be on any airplanes. We got our first tast of that from Nanchang to Guangzhou. On our trip from Guangzhou back home we finally gave in and gave him a dose of Benadryl. It was the best thing that we could have done for him. He was highly stressed and he could not stop melting down. He slept for a few hours about one half hour after we gave it to him and then once he woke up he was still pretty mellow for most of the rest of the flight. If you did not bring some you can get it at one of the shops on Shamian Island or from another adoptive family. Test it first in Gunagzhou before you get on a plane to see how she reacts to it. Sometimes it makes children more hyper but not usually.

Believe me when I tell you, I am not into unnecesary medications for my children but there are times that it is necesary.

Best of luck on your travels. Your daughter is a beauty!

Lori
www.stressisthenewblack.blogspot.com

Truly Blessed said...

Sorry that you had such a frustrating day of air travel. Thankfully, you only have a couple more flights to deal with before you get home.

Glad you're safe in Guangzhou -- enjoy your little "vacation" while you're there (I love the Island). Have lots of fun shopping in the cute shops, and don't stress about the medical exam -- EVERY baby screams there. It won't take a long time, either, so you will only have to endure it for 15 minutes or so.

Make sure you snap a picture of Eliana screaming (if she does) in front of the "Keep Quiet" sign in the clinic. Talk about a funny sign in China!

Faith, Hope, and Love said...

Oh...I'm sorry your flight was so difficult. I will pray that your flight home is easier and that Eliana is able to sleep thru most of it. One of the biggest regrets we have is not bringing the stroller to the airport. There are so many security check points and waiting and pushing. The stroller makes for a nice barrier between you and the craziness. Its a rough road but once you get home and in a routine Eliana will be a different child. Hang in there!!

Jewels of My Heart said...

Sorry Guys.... I posted a comment as you April because I was still signed into your dash board. lol
I am sorry it was so hard on you three but I am so glad that you are in Guangzhou. You will have a wonderful time! Don't forget to go to a Gift From China and please say Hi to my friend.... wish I was there with you.. heheee
The medical exam isn't bad at all, the babies don't like it but it goes quick.
Have a wonderful day my friends..........

redmaryjanes said...

Hang in there guys, you will be home soon. Hopefully you will be able to relax a little more at the White Swan.

Gail said...

I found your blog through Kimberley's(Seventh Diamond). We've adopted twice from China and just returned in late July with our second. I'd also recommend trying Benadryl pre-flight for your little one and doing a test dose before that to see how she does. You are in the home stretch...our son is 2 and had many tantrums/rages which is typical of a toddler grieving. It all gets better I promise.

Take care,

Gail
http://agingwithgracetoo.blogspot.com