Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Adventures of Beijing!

Ah...where to begin???
This was quite a day! At 2:30pm, the real adventure began when Celine, our guide, arrived to take us on a mini tour of some Beijing highlights. We started out taking a taxi about 20 min. from our hotel to the Beijing Hospital where Eliana originally was found. This was a very surreal experience for us that we can't go into much detail on that right now.
This is the spot where she was left. In between the 3rd and 4th floors right by surgery and gynecology.

The taxi rides in Beijing (we took 3), were insane! No seat belts; Baby on lap; driving in the oncoming lane at times; darting in and out of traffic; and very very fast... Not sure how we made it through it, but it was quite scary. Beijing is a HUGE city, to say the least. What an amazing collection of buildings and sights.

At our second destination, we had been going for quite a while and needed to use the restroom badly. Eliana had already taken care of her business and needed a diaper change. We found that in the cab was NOT going to be the right place for that, so Celine started asking around for a place that would be acceptable. Guess what! Not such chance...and April ended up having to change her right on the the dirty sidewalk (thank you for the changing pad tip Cheri) with everyone (all 13million of them) watching!!! Thankfully, I was there with the camera to capture the moment and post it! I (Patrick) didn't have any bad experiences once I found a public facility, however, April had to use a dreaded "squatty potty". That wouldn't have been THAT big of deal, except...she had Eliana in a baby carrier pack on her chest. She almost had a 911 when she couldn't stand back up! Then, as she made the final lurch to get upright, she began to lose her balance and fall backward into the squatty potty (all while standing on the wet surface of the floor (yep...icky!)) I'm sure it was quite the Kodak moment...unfortunately, I was not around to capture it.



At this location, it was so amazing. I felt like we were walking in Time Square in New York, with all the large U.S. and European stores... then, we walked a little farther...turned right, and we were in the midst of a crowded street vendor area. And, there were the exciting, exotic delights that were shown on the Olympics...you got it...scorpion-kabobs (still moving by the way), cicadas, grasshoppers...you name it! (that was my least favorite spot of the day).


After returning to the hotel, we got our laundry together to drop off at a local place and then Celine chose a traditional Chinese restaurant for dinner. We had chicken with peanuts, beef with boc choy and mushrooms, broccoli and steamed rice. Eliana had some of our food and her own order of steamed egg. The egg was very interesting and Celine told us how it is made. It basically ends up with a custard-type texture and is quite good. For all that food, plus tip, it was about $14.50! Thrifty, and very good! (my kind of place). We will be going back over and over for the next few days. Celine is an amazingly good guide with an abundance of patience for us.

After returning to the room, April was changing Eliana for bed and thought she would let her stand around in her birthday suite for a few minutes. I said, you better be careful, she going to go peepee on the floor. April said, "she's not going to go peepee on the floor!" We were looking at her little pot belly trying to determine whether it was from too much food, or not enough food in the past. All of the sudden...totally unexpected...(almost)...out of nowhere...Eliana goes peepee on the carpet!!! Yep, I know...Welcome to parenthood! (Note to self: Trust intuition.) We actually captured a picture of her going potty on the carpet all the while she was looking at herself in the mirror quite interested in what was happening.


Here are some more pictures from today's excitement. Enjoy!







Mummy note: I am so thankful for Ibuprofen (800 mg) as I have been the human jungle gym and she has decided walking isn't a good mode of transportation...at least if she is doing the walking. Eliana is doing a little better with Baba and still will not go to our guide Celine. I know with the lack of my eating, trying to get her fed and the miles we are putting in walking and toting a 22 lb. tot around I have lost weight. Isn't this great! :-)

Photobucket

12 comments:

G and C said...

Oh my goodness, you have had quite the day full of adventures, ones you will never forget. I just love the smile pictures! Eliana is just SO cute!

Love,
Cheri

Truly Blessed said...

Okay, the picture of E peeing on the floor is priceless! She's going to hate you for that someday (unless, of course, you delete it before Blurbing your travel blog to a book!).

I'm so glad you're getting out and enjoying Beijing. Scorpions on a stick, huh? You should have tried one!

By the way, I love the little pot belly -- what could be cuter?

You should ask Celine to take you to a women & children's store -- they're everywhere in China. You'll find barrettes & hairbows there. You'll also find strollers -- which you might consider picking up before you have to travel through airports with a baby and all of your luggage.

Paula said...

I love the April in the sqatty potty story. That is hilarious. The picture of you changing he on the street is classic. I've had my share of changing on dirty floor moments too. Welcome to the joys of motherhood. What great pics you took of Beijing. I bet you ARE losing weight with all the excersise, just another benefit of being a mom to a toddler.

3 Little Monkeys said...

Tell me the barrette isn't LOST! : ) I didn't notice it in her hair today. : ) Eliana looks so content. I love her pot belly picture! I miss my kids tummies looking like that...what a fun age! I know you guys are cherishing every moment...
The "note to self" made me laugh and smile...your so right...trust your intuition.. : ) Have a fun day! XOXO

Faith, Hope, and Love said...

I'm laughing so hard! Yes, welcome to mommyhood!!! I remember having the same thing happen with Mikayla and the squatty potty. I got smart with the second adoption and invested $12 in an umbrella stroller for Lauren. We left the stroller in GZ at one of the shops that lends them out to adoptive family but wished we would have taken it all the way to the airport. Custard and chicken congee...the kids love it! When you go to Lucy's in GZ be sure to get the chicken congee for Eliana. Lauren ate it like there was no tomorrow. We also had our tour guide write down things like coffee, custard, etc. in Chinese so that when we were out on our own we could just show the little sheet to the server. Eliana looks happier every day!!! So beautiful, even is she was peeing on the carpet. LOL

bugs parents said...

Sounds like a fun-filled day! Too funny about the floor - I guess Father does know best. Adorable pictures of your beautiful little girl!

Tina said...

What an exciting day! I can just picture you trying to keep your balance over that squat pot with Eliana hanging on...LOL.
The pictures are precious, she has a beautiful smile and I know you must be wearing the same one.
Sounds like I need to start walking now to get in shape!!!
Love
Tina

Jewels of My Heart said...

How fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She is one beautiful, HAPPY baby! Look at that smile! Sooooooooooooooo sweet! ENJOY!
Thank you for sharing your adventure with us.
Love,
Daleea

Doreen said...

Uh-oh!!!! I think I know who the boss is!!!! Good for her!!!!! It's a good thing she's so darn cute!!!!Eliana (beautiful name BTW) seems to be bonding well.Lucky you! ENJOY!!!

Doreen in Montreal single Mom to Faith-Jiangxi & Mia-Sichuan
I know some really good shopping places BTW

redmaryjanes said...

Oh yes, changing your child's diaper and public and having them pee on the carpet all true Mommy Milestones. Hold on tight...there are many more and some are quite exciting :)

Unknown said...

OH WOW, the best part about her peeing on the floor is the look on her face as she watches in the mirror, hehehe. I absolutly love the picture of her giving you the sideward glare. She looks like she's about to come up with a real good punch line. Talk about "Eliana Eyes"..Love and Prayers to all of you...GRANDEE

dawn said...

The taxi drivers have a death wish, I am convinced of it.

That little belly is just right for kissing, I love them.

Savor every second of this time and keep the photos coming.
love us.